THE TONAL FACTOR - TONAL VALUES TRAINING PAGEWhat are Tonal Values and Why are they important?
What are Tonal Values or ‘Values’ in Painting?
Why are they so Important?
This Training is probably the most important in terms of the success of your work. Understanding it’s vital importance is half the battle. By being aware of your tonal values – you will both transform your work and train your ‘eye’ and that is a great result from relatively little work; and all too often it is the one single factor that pushes your work into a different level.
LEARNING PLAN for TONAL VALUES
Download the PDF Tonal Values Worksheet below, and read it all to give you a good overview.
Try not to watch the videos all at once!
Each video covers a different medium or aspect of tonal values.
Some videos have their own downloadable PDF’s on the video page.
In most cases there are downloadable exercise images for each medium
The videos fall into two areas: Developing your skills and developing your understanding
DEVELOPING YOUR TECHNIQUES IN BLACK AND WHITE MEDIA
The exercises that will develop your skills and will form the basis of the work in Tonal Values;
IMPROVE YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF TONAL VALUES
Some of the videos are purely informational and give you a good background to tonal values. These are:
4) What are Tonal Values: Please complete the grayscale exercise if you have any work already completed – probably old work.
5) Shading Exercises: If you think you need some practice – try some of the methods in this video
6) The Tonal Swatch -Pastel: This is to improve your understanding of Tonal Values and pastel.
7) Aerial Perspective – This improves your understanding of tonal values and the feeling of distance.
8) Townscapes/Buildings – To develop tonal values using large and small buildings in the landscape.
Some have there own exercises in the Tonal Values Worksheet.
Click on the images or the video titles to go straight to the video page. PDF’s of Photographs to use for the tonal values exercises are on the pages with the videos